We’re now accepting submissions to our 2016 Local Shorts Program!
With incredible submissions from talented local filmmakers each year, we’ve expanded the program to include 2 local shorts programs.
Local Shorts A: films 6 minutes and under, will be screened prior to feature films throughout the festival
Local Shorts B: films longer than 6 minutes, shorter than 15 minutes will be packaged and presented in a feature film timeslot (similar to the Canadian Shorts program)
DEADLINES & FEES
Deadline: January 8, 2016 | Entry fee: FREE
Only new Canadian films made by Canadian filmmakers will be considered. In addition, to qualify for the Local Shorts Program, a film must:
- Have been filmed within 100 km of Kingston, Ontario or
- Have been written or directed by a current or former Kingstonian or
- Have a connection to the Kingston-area, as deemed appropriate by KCFF
- Have a maximum length of 15 minutes (our 2012 winner was 70 seconds!)
- Entries previously submitted and not accepted may not be resubmitted
- Submissions must be making their Kingston premiere at the festival and must be deemed a new release by the programming committee
NEW FOR 2016: ALL ENTRIES WILL BE SUBMITTED ELECTRONICALLY
Step 1 >> Fill out this form
STEP 2 >> Email it to firstname.lastname@example.org with the ‘Local Shorts submission’ in the subject line. For selection purposes, we require access to a password-protected online screener. Please be sure that links have been tested and remain live from the time of submission until February 25, 2016
- We require a digital copy of your film to be used for festival screening purposes. An online link to an HD .mp4 file using the H264 codec is the preferred format but a DVD (Data DVD not a Playable DVD), USB Key. The video link must be active until March 1, 2016. For more information follow Vimeo’s compression guidelines for HD films.
- Available press materials must be shipped to KCFF upon notification of selection
- The filmmaker grants permission for the use of all publicity materials (including preview BluRays and DVDs) to be used for promotional purposes, unless otherwise noted
SCHEDULING & ATTENDANCE
- Scheduling of screening dates, times, and locations is at the sole discretion of KCFF
- We encourage all filmmakers to attend the festival on behalf of the film, if possible. Please contact festival staff to arrange tickets email@example.com
All selected Local Shorts will be automatically entered to win the prize (cash and other cool items) and bragging rights as the Steam Whistle Homebrew Winner for Best Local Short!
Recent Steam Whistle Home Brew Award Winners include:
2015 – Sir John A. and the curse of the Anti-Quenched (Adam Kirkey)
2014 – Digging Up Plato (Leigh Ann Bellamy)
2013 – Anna (Kat Rush)
2012 – Give it up Charlie! (Aidan Payne)
2011 – Impressions (Eric Ferguson, Tristan Tiggeloven, Kevin Ikeda, Deborah Hong and Elizabeth Lindsay)